About Life ... Sobre a vida ...

We all breath, cry, feel lonely, love regardless of our race, gender or orientation. We all crave the human touch at some stage in our lives, someone to hold, someone to simply be there for us during our moments of need. After all, everyone in this life deserves "happiness". In the form that corresponds our personal point of view...

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Lucky

Thus, the Christmas season is over..

As I was coming back to Italy, in the train that took me from the airport in Rome to the bus station, up came and sat in front of me a young kid, about 10 years old.
Soon it was followed by his father. At the beginning the kid kicked me, by accident. I didn't say anything.

As soon as the father sat in front of me too, he made a gesture towards me like saying "wait". I didn't get it right away. I saw him writing something on his cellular phone. He then turned it towards me. I read: "Termini" and then I realized that he was deaf-mute. I was taken aback and tried to explain that this train was going to another station. He then wrote again, "Tiburtina", I nodded yes and somehow I managed to explain that he had to take there another train.

Everything went ok, and we passed 6-7 stations. The 8th was Tiburtina. At the meantime he began signing with his child and I realized that the boy was deaf-mute too.
I finally wrote on my cell that he had to take the underground from Tiburtina to go to Termini. We all got off the train at Tiburtina he nodded "thank you" to me and we separated.
As they went away, father and son, in the crowded station, in all that fuss and noise, I began to think that it is amazing how they live in a world that everything has sounds, noises and yet they are in their own world, a world within the rest of the world, with no sounds, no noises, no whistles.

Somehow then I realized another thing, while thinking how lucky I am in my life. How privileged I am in many sectors..

I have some friends that are worth being called like that. Friends with a capital F. Friends that stand me, stand by me, that support me, that can tolerate me, my weird feelings, my weird moods, my shouting, my demands, that love me for what I am and for the person that I am. These friends know my worst behaviors, my worst nightmares, my worst feelings and yet are still there for me, in good or in bad.. During Xmas and especially the last days, I was in a state of panic to find someone I 'm in love with. A person that I don't know even how it's called. I can't explain in words the amount of support I had from my friends...I wish one day, I can give back even the slightest bit of what I got from them until now..

Isn't that luck..?

1 Comments:

Blogger James Bailey said...

its not till you meet someone with a disability - whether blind, crippled, deaf or any other kind - that one realises how lucky one is. Yet in a way, I sometimes think that they may in a way be better off, as their other "active" senses would be more attuned to nature. Wonder what we are missing?

Having friends who are "true" friends make one even luckier.
I would hate to live without them around me. They are what I call my "extended family".

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home